SBMT Young Investigator Awards-2018
- Award for Brazilians who outstood in the Tropical Medicine field
- Only professionals who ended their doctorates in less than 10 years can participate
- The award will be a research incentive grant of 10,000 euros
Aiming to encourage young professionals who outstood in the Tropical Medicine field, the Institut Mérieux and the Brazilian Society of Tropical Medicine (BSTM) [Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical - SBMT] have partnered to award, in 2017, a Young Researcher. The 10,000 € award was given during the 53rd MedTrop, held in Cuiabá, from August 2 to 5, 2017.
This year the award, in the same amount, will be given during the 54th Annual Congress of the BSTM, to be held in Recife, from September 2 to 5, 2018.
- Candidates must currently be members of the Brazilian Society of Tropical Medicine (BSTM);
- Candidates must have attended in a Brazilian hospital or relevant research institution for full-time as an infectious diseases physician, clinical or molecular microbiologist or epidemiologist;
- Candidates must have less than 10 years since completing their PhD;
- Candidates must have enrolled or contributed significantly in tropical diseases research and/or managing patients with national impact;
- Impact indicators include publication(s) in prominent international journals and/or implementing guidelines/protocols that lead to significant enhancements in tropical diseases.
Selection process and conditions
- Requests for the award should be submitted to the BSTM until July 20, 2018. The request, in English, should be submitted to the following e-mail address: email@example.com The e-mail must contain the candidate's full name and contact information (e-mail address and mobile phone number), besides a short resume detailing their professional history and describing in one to two pages the researches and/or clinical projects they have performed or that could be considered for the award. Supporting documents are needed, such as the publication of the proposed paper. The e-mail should also contain a description, in one to two pages, of the candidate's ongoing and future researches within the tropical diseases field. Finally, a picture and a recommendation letter by the host institution in which the candidate is working at the time of application (optional).
- Members of the scientific committee, to be appointed by the BSTM, will evaluate the requests and rank two or three researchers, which will be sent to the Mérieux Institute’s scientific committee along with their recommendations for the laureate selection. The Institute Mérieux cannot award the prize if none of the propositions fulfills the minimum requirements.
- Institut Mérieux will notify the BSTM with the name of the 2018 laureate. The BSTM will organize an awarding ceremony during its annual Congress, to be held in September 2018.
- To receive the award grant, not to exceed 10,000 euros (ten thousand euros), the BSTM will sign an agreement with the laureate and both will be responsible for the adequate research grant. The funds may only be used for research means in a 12-month period.